Thursday, October 13, 2016

10 Lessons from The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino: Free Business Book Summary and Review

Can ten lessons from an old parable lead you to success in life?  If these lessons become your daily habits, they can. But the ten lessons found in The Greatest Salesman in the World contain principles that develop a person’s character, rather than sales techniques. 
  
In The Greatest Salesman in the World, Bantam, 1968, Og Mandino, presents his philosophy on how to live a successful life as a sales person in a parable. In the story, Pathros, a wealthy trader, was known as the Greatest Salesman in the world.  Pathros had a camel boy, Hafid, who was also his adopted son. Hafid met a young woman, Lisha,  and wanted to be more than a camel boy so that he could marry Lisha.  Hafid asks Pathros to let him become a salesman. Hafid is given a robe to sell, but out of compassion, he gives the robe to a couple in a cave with a newborn baby. Hafid returns to Pathros empty-handed but the old trader sees a bright star over Hafid when he returns from Bethlehem and decides he is the next one to receive the scrolls. Thus, Pathros passes the ten scrolls on to his protégée Hafid. 

Pathros’ first condition for giving the scrolls to Hafid requires Hafid to agree to follow the instructions on the scrolls and Hafid agrees.  The second condition Hafid agrees to follow is to  give half his earnings to the poor. After following the lessons contained in the scrolls,  Hafid became known as the Greatest Salesman in the world. Later, a former tax collector named Paul comes to Hafid and asks how to become a great salesman and Hafid gives the scrolls to Paul.  
     
Obviously, this parable takes place in the Middle East, in the period shortly before Christianity spread around the world and contains Biblical references.  But, you do not need to be a Christian to benefit from Mandino’s philosophy. 

The instructions for the scrolls are that each scroll is to be read three times a day - once in the morning, once at noon and once at night for thirty days straight until the information becomes so ingrained that it becomes a habit before the next scroll is read three times a day for thirty days until all ten scrolls are read, which should take about ten months. The instructions state that during the morning and noon reading, read silently. At night, read it out loud. Remind yourself throughout the day that failure will never overtake you if your will to succeed is strong enough.  

The first scroll contains the secret to learning. The other nine scrolls contain the principles and secrets to becoming a success in the art of selling and life.   

The Scroll Marked I

Today is a new day and the start of my new life. I will leave failure far behind.  Good habits are the key to all success. The difference between success and failure lies in the difference of habits. I will commit to becoming a slave to good habits and eliminate all bad habits that lead to failure. Because only a new habit can replace an old bad habit, I will replace any bad habit with a good habit. Experience is like fashion, like yesterday’s fashion that is out of style, what worked for another yesterday, may not work for you today.   

The Scroll Marked II 

I will greet this day with love in my heart. When you show love and compassion to the world, you shall find it returned to you. 


The Scroll Marked III

I will persist until I succeed. Persistence will bring you success.I will remove defeat, quit, failure, hopeless, and similar words from my vocabulary.  

The Scroll Marked IV

I am nature's greatest miracle.  I am committed to becoming a better version of myself than I was yesterday.  No one else can sell like me.  I am an original. I will focus all my energy on the challenge of this moment.  

The Scroll Marked V

I will live this day as if it is my last.  I will not waste a moment of today focusing on yesterday’s problems and sorrows. I will focus on taking care of my family and lifting up any friends in need. 
I will give thanks for every moment of this day. 

The Scroll Marked VI

I will be the master of my emotions.  I will live courageously and not fall victim to fear and disappointment. If I bring rain and gloom to others, they will react with rain and gloom and not buy from me.  If I bring joy and enthusiasm, they will react with joy and enthusiasm.  If I feel a negative emotion like depression, I will replace it with a positive emotion by singing, laughing, or taking action to move forward.  

The Scroll Marked VII

I will laugh at the world.  I will appreciate each situation and not take life too seriously. I will remember these words, “This too shall pass.”  

The Scroll Marked VIII

Today I will multiply my value a hundredfold.  I will find ways to create value for others in our exchanges.  I will set goals for the day, week, month, and year.  I will aim high, do the work failures avoid, and improve my performance.  I will announce my goals but never announce my accomplishments. I will let others sing my praise and accept that praise with humility.  

The Scroll Marked IX

I will act now.  I will act decisively to achieve success. Only my actions determine my value in the marketplace.  To multiply my value, I need to multiply my actions. 

The Scroll Marked X

I will pray for guidance.  Anyone who has faced great danger has cried out for help.  I will renew myself through a connection with God or a higher power. I will not pray for goods and services, I will only pray for guidance on how I might get these things for myself. 

Rating: $$$$$ out of five. Timeless advice.

Copyright @ 2016 Christine Esser

This book was purchased, not a gift.   


Thank you for reading this review. Comments are welcome.  We have not received anything from the author or publisher in exchange for this review. 


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very comprehensive summary. Not so clear in original book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. How to read literature like a professor summaries

    ReplyDelete